Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thanksgiving story

On this Thanksgiving I would like to share a story with you, a story that affected me deeply before I knew I had cancer and now, has become even more poignant.

The story was written by Bob Heintz, my mother's second husband. They married when they were in their 80s and they made a cute couple. Bob was a special person, he had a love of people that was to be admired. Bob discovered that he had lung cancer a couple of years into their marriage.

Bob wrote, “The parish nurse in our Lutheran Church decided to start a cancer support group to be held on a Tuesday evening. I wanted to contribute something, but could not attend because I had a fly tying class on the same evening. I wrote the enclosed paper and told the nurse she could use any part of the article, or all of it, or none of it.”



My feelings about my cancer.

Can you imagine an instant death due to an accident or severe heart attack where the deceased did not have time to say goodbye or tell someone that they were loved?

I'd rather have cancer.

I would not want to have Alzheimer’s disease. A disease that is easy on the patient, but dreadfully awful for the family to see a parent whom they love but absolutely no response from that parent.

I'd rather have cancer.

I would not want to lose any of my five senses.
I need my sight to see friends, flowers and sunsets.
I need to smell cookies being baked and lilacs in the spring.
I need to taste a cherry pie or a vine-ripened tomato.
I need to touch a friend's hand or give someone a hug.
I need to hear birds sing and children laugh.

Rather than lose one of my senses, I'd rather have cancer.

Imagine mental illness so severe that it's impossible to distinguish right from wrong, or be incapable of loving someone. Or having a severe stroke, incapacitated, with mouth agape and empty eyes staring into space, or having a depression so deep that one considers suicide.

I'd rather have cancer because it gives me time to tell family and friends how much I love them. I have time to develop new friendships. I have time to tie a few fishing flies for my grandchildren and friends. I still enjoy humor because I believe laughter is fuel for the soul.

I have time, and I take time to thank God for allowing me to have such a good life, and time to ask his forgiveness for my transgressions.

My one request is that as I pass on to the new home with my Lord, that I be in company of a relative or friend, and that as the light of the earth fades I would like to hear a Loon call to me from across the lake.

Bob Heintz

Thanks, Bob for sharing the way with us.

Love to all on this Thanksgiving Day,

Van

No comments:

Post a Comment