Monday, May 4, 2015

Carol and Vern's most excellent adventure part 1



Our adventure started out in Saint Cloud, Minnesota.

I attended the Minnesota Aiki Shuren Dojo's annual Spring Aikido Seminar at St. John's University on the 11th and 12th of April. Carol and I traveled on Friday the 10th, we were met at the gymnasium by David and Don. I grabbed my bags out of the Mustang and Carol drove off to spend the weekend with her friend Patti. I dropped my gear off at the Abbey dormitory and David Gottlieb, Don Luukkonen and I headed out for an evening of food, drink and fellowship. I roomed with David and Don the first night, I felt bad that David slept on a cot. Thanks guys!

This spring's seminar featured Tokusei Takahashi Shihan from Akita, Japan. A master swordsman and calligrapher, Takahashi Shihan holds advanced Dan rankings in many martial disciplines including Aikido, Iaido, Judo, Jukendo and Karate – among others. Takahashi Sensei studied Aikido with the late Shigeru Kawabe Shihan, Mark Larson's first Aikido instructor, and has since established the martial art Taikido, which combines Karate, Judo and Aikido.

We studied Aikido, a Jo kata (staff arts), an Iaido kata (quick draw of the sword) and some Jukendo (bayonet). One of the most amazing things is the gentleness displayed by these gentlemen, think of the most gentle person you have ever met, then you will be close. They are the most gentle creatures off the mat, but put them on the mat and there is a level of fierceness that is hard to process in my brain. What incredible spirit!

Takahashi Shihan brought two friends, Mr. Kato and Mr. Senami. Both are accomplished martial artists, Kato is a professional musician and at the social on Saturday evening he shared his skill with the shakuhachi (bamboo flute) and shamisen (a Japanese banjo).

David Scott, Steven Reinhold and Clinton Adams from the Red River Judo Club attended, so it was good to see them.

This year I was in pretty good shape and managed to train for all but maybe 10 minutes on the first day. I hadn't done any hard martial arts training for several years as I have been building the house and well, I was pretty sore on Sunday and more so on Monday.
back - Reinhold, Borgen, Scott, Adams, front - Kato, Takahashi, Larson, Senami   

I roomed with Jeff Pryzbilla the second night, Jeff started Judo with me at NDSU back in 1980 or '81, so it was a great opportunity to catch up. Jeff has just recently dropped his franchise with Flickos and established his own video processing business in St. Cloud.

Sam Rudd showed up on Sunday morning close to noon. Sam's arrival gave me an excuse to get off the mat, I was so sore, I missed about 20 minutes of practice. Carol showed up around noon and joined in our conversation. We joined Steven Reinhold and Clinton Adams for lunch and then said goodbye to St. Cloud.

I want to thank Mark Larson Sensei, the members of the MN Aiki Shuren Dojo and the College of St. Benedict and St. John's University Aikido Club for another wonderful seminar. And special thanks to Don Luukkonen for arranging for my room and helping me get around campus.  It was a great pleasure as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment