Saturday, March 23, 2013

Plaster - first attempt


Here I am applying plaster to the plywood shear walls with a steel trowel.  The plaster is a setting joint compound typically used for sheetrock taping, it contains plaster of Paris and the mix sets in about 90 minutes.  I mixed 2 cups of mason's sand with each 18 pound bag of joint compound.


Putting the finish surface on the plaster with a "mag" trowel.  I am trying to get a fairly flat surface without a lot of texture.  The grains of sand keep the trowel away from the plywood and gives the surface a nice rough texture.


Here is a close up of the texture. 

I told Carol I would do 4 walls approximately 12' long by 8' high in one day.  She suggested that I give myself two days.  I completed all four walls on Thursday.   Each wall took a bag of setting joint compound and about 90 minutes to complete, including set up and mixing the compound.



These are the plastered walls in the engawa (sunroom).  Not bad for a first attempt at plastering!!!

Tomorrow I am going to plaster the north wall in the great room.  Pictures will follow.



No comments:

Post a Comment