Thursday, February 23, 2012

stove disaster

23 February 2012

I was in the shop this evening, had started a fire in the Jotel #1 wood burning stove and was enjoying the fire's radiance, when I heard an odd snap, moments later the stove collapsed, falling backward into a bunch of steel that I had stored behind the stove with a loud crash.  The stove pipe disconnected and smoke started to belch from the open pipe.

Carol appeared in the doorway to the shop asking what had happened and while figuring out what to do gave her a brief explanation... the rear leg broke!!!  Damn cast iron.

I grabbed a bucket of water that I keep close and doused the fire, put a bucket over the stove pipe and opened the windows and the doors.  Elapsed time about one minute.

Tomorrow I will have fabricate a new leg.  I have been using the stove to make the shop comfortable to work in when the sun doesn't shine.  OK, that doesn't make a lot of sense.  The shop has a bank of windows that are oriented to the south and when the sun shines the shop warms up nicely but when the sun doesn't shine or in the evenings I use the stove to keep the shop warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment